FB-RSS Feed for Andrea Wimmers Talley

Monday, March 17, 2008

My Surrogate Husband

If you read the last post, you know that I sometimes have a need for a surrogate husband. My friend Susan* has filled this role splendidly for many years, and mostly that has entailed being my date to parties that Chris didn't want to go to. Lately, though, she has taken the role to a whole new level.

On Saturday, she accompanied me to a holistic maternity and family fair. We learned about doulas and cloth diapers and got free massages and reiki treatments. When someone asked Susan if she was expecting and I said "She's expecting my baby", I immediately felt the need to clarify, "but we're just friends". We then ate pizza and took a walk on the beach.

Since Carolina did, in fact, make it to the finals of the ACC tournament, Susan came with me on Sunday to my partner prenatal yoga class. I felt bad for her, because she did very little yoga and mostly just helped me in my poses, but she said she enjoyed it. The instructor ended the class by having my surrogate husband massage my feet. I must say, she was very good at it. I am glad, too that I have a friend who can help me with the poses when I need it.

I'm sure there will be many more uses for my surrogate husband in the months and years to come, and I'm glad to have her. I hope I can fill the role for her as well as she has filled it for me.

*Most of you know I have two good friends named Susan. Here, I am of course referring to the one who lives in Wilmington, Susan Wood. Although I'm sure my other friend, Susan Wenner Jackson who lives in Cincinnati, would also make a great surrogate husband.


More on that Surrogate Husband thing...

Chris here. It is with a little guilt I write this as I didn't attend the Yoga class, but I am also very very grateful to Susan for standing in for me, which as Andrea notes, she has done before. In fact, she's done so for as long as Andrea and I have known each other, which has been upwards of 13 years. Even back in college, I would be goofing off with Ed, and Susan would be the Surrgoate date for Andrea (and vice versa of course). Susan has also volunteered to clean our cat's litter box (and her sister Melody too), while we have been away, and there have been times when she has just done nice little things. without asking.

So thank you Susan! Where would we be without you! On another note, thanks to Andrea for being a good sport and letting me go watch the game (and Nascar race). It was a thrill to see UNC win again, and my buddies Warren, Jeff, Andy and (eventually Breese) were all glad I could be there to watch it with them.

Talleybaby appreciates it, too, as somebody had to fill him in on the details of the game. :-)

Chris

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys are too cute!

Susan said...

I'm glad the other Susan is there to be your surrogate husband. I can be your Cincinnati SH though. You are so lucky to have so many husbands!